Final Project

 Final Project

For the finished arrangement, I decided on 4 different display options. I had bought an old shoe shiner's box from a charity shop in Eastwood, which I filled with soil. The shape of the box and the top-hinged lid created a tunnel effect. This created the illusion that the heads carried on for further than the eye could see, which I think worked perfectly. 



The other two methods of display were two old suitcases that were conveniently already at the studio. One I filled with scrap pieces of white and cream fabrics. That way, the heads would blend in to the fabric slightly, creating the illusion that there is more heads in there that the audience can see at first glance. Instead of being obvious, you would have to look directly at them, and find each head within the fabric.


The other suitcase I filled with a single roll of hessian. This would create the opposite effect than the other suitcase, where each head would stand out against the fabric. It's more of a statement like the heads buried in soil. This way the heads would pop out at the audience, showing all the details in the faces, almost staring back up at them. 



These three pieces I felt displayed the heads very well. Each section created a different 'vibe' to them and to the heads. Once in the space however, The wall behind them looked quite boring, so I printed some pictures I had taken of the heads and put them up above the suitcases. I used 250 gsm glossy photo paper. This was so the shiny parts of the heads would read well on the glossy paper, yet not produce glares if the sun hit them. Allowing them to be seen from all angles without obstruction. 




As all the displays were on or close to the floor, I created an arch of photos above them to guide the viewers eyes downwards towards them. The photos were quite hard to arrange in a way that made sense, so I tried to categorise them from nature related towards the side with the box and soil on the right, to more 'urban' or 'industrial' with the suitcases on the left. The photos added more view points which is exactly what I was aiming for. They filled up a blank space, whilst fitting with the theme. 

As you can see on the right, I have a tall podium with three heads on top. These I made during my testing phase where I was trying out some coloured glazes. I loved these heads, but they didn't fit with the other, more neutral heads. Instead of leaving them out of the finished project, I put these three small heads on top of an 'oversized' podium. They look too small for it, yet it still works. This adds to the unsettling theme of my project, things not being where they should, or looking like they should. 

Overall, I love the outcome of this project. I was unsure about how to display the heads once I had made them, but I think I have found a solution that works. I learnt many things during this time, including and not limited to, time management. The creation of these heads took a lot longer than expected, so if I do something similar in the future, I would make two moulds instead of one. This way I could double my production, or cut production time in half, ultimately leaving me more time to focus on the display and background work that is key to making a well-rounded project. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Early Stages

Online Profiles

Politics and Identity